Family Law FAQs

How can I gain control over my financial future?

Most people facing a family conflict are fearful of the possibility of financial ruin. The burden of splitting a household into two, adapting to a shared parenting plan, and liquidating shared assets can be daunting. Gain control of your financial future by hiring an experienced attorney. A successful lawyer can help ease the transition, so you are able to adapt to the changed and new circumstances. At Ryland & Merchak, we are ready to help you with complex financial issues, including the following divisions of financial assets:

  • Joint Accounts
  • 401(k) and Employee Stock Plans
  • Employee Pensions
  • IRAs and Retirement Accounts
  • Investment Accounts
  • Government Pensions
  • Thrift Savings
  • Property Sales Proceeds

What are the advantages of a settlement-oriented approach to a family law issue?

Nobody wants to indulge in untold financial expenses and the uncertainty of long and protracted litigation. By taking a settlement-oriented approach to your family law issue, you can take advantage of out-of-court methods of conflict resolution. Settlement and mediation conferences are two ways that can help you resolve disputes out-of-court, without having any intervention of a judge who does not have full understanding of your family dynamic. At Ryland & Merchak, we encourage our clients to take advantage of these options. Our attorneys have the required knowledge, skills and experience to effectively advocate when you are entrenched in a family court case. Our scope of practice includes:

  • Contested Divorce
  • Uncontested Divorce
  • Property Settlement Agreements
  • Child Custody and Visitation Issues
  • Valuation of Business and Professional Practices in the Context of Divorce
  • Non-Traditional Family Law
  • Post-Decree Modification
  • Juvenile Court Matters
  • Shared Physical Custody
  • Custody with International Issues and Forums
  • Contested Complex Custody Issues
  • Modification of Decrees Awarding Custody and Visitation
  • Enforcement of Child Support and Alimony (Spousal Support) Decrees
  • Annulments
  • Obtaining Protective Orders
  • Equitable Distribution
  • Prenuptial Agreements
  • Separation
  • Termination of Parental Rights

How does the court handle parenting issues?

The court has the authority to award custody to the non-custodial parent if there is suspicion of abuse or neglect in the home of the parent where they are currently residing. Sally Merchak is a skilled juvenile court advocate who has handled cases at the juvenile court level all the way through to appeal. She offers clients the advice and advocacy they need to secure their parental rights without the interference of the court.

Let Us Help You

Office Location

Ryland & Merchak, PC

12728 Directors Loop
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Local: 703-496-5273
Visa | MasterCard | American Express | Discover
Prince William County Bar Association
Virginia State Bar 1938 | Virginia Trial Lawyers Association